July 22, 2012

The Life Long Quest Of Choosing A Profession

My excuse: been busy making my dreams come true...

Sounds cheesy, I know, but it so happens to be the truth.
How and what, you may wonder? Ok, I'll share it with you, just because you asked so nicely.

Part one: the WHAT

Growing up we're told that the world is crammed with possibilities. Later on I discovered that that fact isn't always a good fact. In fact it can be a very difficult fact indeed. You see, because of that endless ocean of opportunities stretching too far and wide for anyone to fathom, it's an nearly impossible task to choose one of them for yourself and your own life!

I've always envied those of my friends who always knew what they wanted to be. Who they wanted to be. What they wanted to do with their lives. They all seemed so calm. And most of them have managed to stay that way as well! I envy them because they have found their purpose.

Well, unfortunately this doesn't happen to everyone.

The majority wander from this to that and back again trying to make sense of their own abilities and skills, and most importantly, finding a profession that suits them. Luckily for them a lot of people eventually realice that they really like the thought of being a teacher, nurse, electrician, chef, constructor or carpenter or something just as useful. I know a lot of my friends have, and I applaud them and encourage them as best as I can. Nothing is better than wanting to become something useful and important! But here comes the matter of fact... Unfortunately, I'm not one of those lucky ones.

Growing up I, like a million other kids, went through different periodes where I wanted to be so many different things when I grew up. I was quite serious about becoming a teacher at the age of eight, and in 7th grade I taught myself to draw architectural drawings of houses and stuff and really wanted to be an architect. However, when I grew older I also became more and more unsure of what I wanted to do with my life.

When the time came that I had to pick what school I wanted to attend for my three years in what most of you would call Upper High, I had no idea. Several of my friends chose things like electrician studies, health- and social studies, and media- and communication studies. Since I had no clue at the time, I choose something called study specialization. Simply explained that's the only one of the choices that doesn't involve a specific profession. Instead it prepares you for further studies at the university. Enough about that! As it turns out, I should have chosen media and communication...

So, well through Upper High. What's next? That was indeed the big question that has been haunting

me for the last year. I felt like I was expected to have a plan. I had a plan... sort of, maybe, well, not really. I used the elimination technique. By methodically eliminating all the things I did not want to be, there honestly wasn't that much left. Throughout these past three years I've discovered that I not only have a passion for books, but also movies.

Why I love movies is another matter entirely, so that I have to answer in a separate post... But I discovered that I found the process of movie making very appealing, and that I wanted to be a part of this particular society. There was just one little problem.

I'm an 18-year-old girl from the distant country named Norway. What you need to understand is that in my entire country there are only 5 million people, so naturally the movie-industry isn't quite as extensive as one might have wanted it to... Thus, people here tend to look at the movies as an immature and foolish career to pursuit and a perfect way to waste your life.

Example: Last year a friend of mine asked me what I wanted to do with my life. I gave her the honest truth: “I want to be a movie director.” She laughed and told me that it sounded exciting. After a little while she turned quite serious and said: “So… what are you actually going to do?” Who could blame her? With only three people in the entire country living as directors, how could she know I meant what I said.

Honestly, I have questioned and doubted myself a million times. What if I'd missed out on some important skill you had to have? Who can be born to be directors? Will I be any good at it? Can I find any work? And most importantly, why do I want to do this? Like Oliver Stapleton once said: “No-one in their right mind would voluntarily go through the kind of hell that a Film Director has to go through.” Luckily I’ve been told repeatedly I’m not in my right mind, so I guess I’ll be perfect then?

* To read part two of this mini-series about choosing a profession, head over here.
** Part two is all about how to actually make my dream come true...