September 28, 2012

The Script #3 Review

I finally got the new album from The Script!

I've actually been waiting for it for a long time because I love their music so much and coud not wait for them to finish and publish their third album. This review should however have been done a while ago, because the album was released over two weeks ago, there was just one problem... they didn't have it at my local record store!

So, I had to order it, and it literally took me two weeks to get it. That was a bit disappointing. The Script is actually kind of famous, so it should be available for purchase in Bergens biggest record store. But I guess they'r more into Flo Rida, Carly Rae Jepson, Nicki Minaj and all that really boring and meaningless music...

But, when I finally got it, it was totally worth the wait!


For those of you who might not know The Script already, they consist of lead vocalist Danny O'Donoghue, guitarist Mark Sheehan and drummer Glen Power. The three of them are from Ireland and play some kind of rock-ish music. Wikipedia sais alternative rock, pop rock and indie pop, but they have described their style as a form of "Celtic soul". I guess they don't exactly fit in a box... The best bands don't.

Anyway, their third alum, appropriately named #3, consists of ten tracks. (There is an extended album on Spotify with seven additional tracs, but mine hasn't got those.)

1. Good Ol' Days                
2. Six Degrees Of Separation          
3. Hall Of Fame                            
4. If You Could See Me Now            
5. Glowing                                        
6. Give The Love Around          
7. Broken Arrow                                
8. Kaleidoscope                                  
9. No Words
10. Millionaires

Simply said, this is a real work of art. I love it so much, and no simple blog post will do it justice. The Script has always been a bit different. They write, produce and preform their own music, and that really shows in their work. The first two albums were great, but this one is different.

Good lyrics is a thing they've always been known for, but in this new album they are taking this to a whole other level. For the first time they're writing straight from their guts, and the powerful lyrics and rushes of emotion it conjures is breathtaking. They simply write about life, all aspects of it.

It's not just your typical "love, and how it breaks, and love, and how it breaks". Being grown up men with long relationships, wives, families and kids brings a sense of wisdom to their work. It's impossible to make you understand... You just have to go listen to it yourself.


That being said, I have to say I love the first half of the album the most. The second part is great, but the first four songs is in a league of its own.

I've picked out my three favorite songs of the album, and I hereby present to you:

Six Degrees Of Separation
Wow. I just don’t know where to start. It’s so honest and real. Knowing that the lead vocalist, Danny O’Donoghue, had a terrible breakup with his ex-girlfriend last year, you instantly know this is written straight from his guts. It’s such an incredible thing to listen to something that grabs you like this. One of my all-time favorite songs.

Hall Of Fame
I could not believe my own ears when I heard this for the first time. There are not many songs like this in the world… Talking about how doing what you are passionate about and succeeding in that is way better than any amount of money or fame. And how anyone can be a champion, whether it is on an every-day base or in a more literal form. One of the most inspiring songs ever! And the music video… I’m in awe at what they (The Script) manage to tell the world in such a short and simple thing as one song. You must however see the music video to really feel it's power...

If You Could See Me Now
I can’t listen to this song in front of people. It’s that kind of song that brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it. Mark and Danny wrote it one night they finally decided to put words to some of the thoughts, feelings and fears they had hidden deep inside. The song is dedicated to Marks parents and Danny’s father, and it’s so painful, beautiful and raw it’s almost terrible to listen to. You know they mean every word. And the feeling of wanting people to be proud of who you are, what you do and how your life turned out, is just universal. Every single people in this world can relate to this song one way or the other. One of the best and most honest songs ever made.


My verdict? Possibly the best album I've heard... There is honestly one song that I don't love that much, and that is "Give The Love Around". It was just a bit flat to me in between those great pieces of art. However, track number 2, 3 and 4 I think is some of the best I've heard. 

Love this album with all my heart, and if you consider buying it too, DO IT! 
Like I said, it's worth the money...